Re: [ARSCLIST] RCA Victor 20-2765

There is a very good article about this,published in "Goldmine",in 1989 for the 50th anniversary of the 45.I can't find my copy,but maybe someone else here has one,

                                        Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyrone Settlemier"
> By the way, thanks all!  Not only did I discover which title is correct, I
> found the source of my error  Just out of curiosity, when RCA issued
> pre-1949 recordings on 45rpm, why didn't they just use the original 78rpm
> catalog numbers, but with the 47-prefix?  Any particular reason?  They did
> so going forward.

My guess...for what it's worth...

RCA originally wanted to promote its "45" as something BRAND new! So...
they assigned not only separate prefixes, but even separate numbers...?!
After a month or two of this, they figured out that they were creating
for themselves a (discographic) nightmare, as there was no simple way
to relate 78 and 45rpm issues of the same sides (were 45's ever issued
with different pairings from 78's?)...and took the more rational
approach of using the two different format prefixes with the same record
numbers...?!

...stevenc
(the answer is probably in long-since-discarded internal memo[e]s...?!)