Re: [ARSCLIST] Internet audio: What do you expect of it ?

You will note I said I think it's a step in the right direction.I am one of those nutjobs who thinks everything is better with tubes.People used to scoff at tube amplification for CDs too.The tube/computer interface technology will improve.It may be a couple of years,before we have audiophile quality gear.

The more technically inclined might want to explain to me why my FM radio analogy/taped program analogy is a wrong one?

When I play records.I am just as likely to toss on early 50s small label r&b,or country 45s,as I am a Living Presence stereo classical Lp,or an indie punk Lp from the 80s,or a Mexican Perez Prado record from the early 70s.I am used to massive differences in quality from one record to the next.I can understand the high-end/audiophile experience,but sometimes I think it can also greatly hinder one's enjoyment of music.

                                    Roger

Marcos Sueiro Bal <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Roger,

I hope you audition the iTube before you spend 700 bones on it. The
claims in its description seem unfounded (see below). As with many
things tube, they make it sound like black magic. One thing is for sure:
the tubes will NOT restore the fidelity lost on an MP3 (although it
could conceivably make it more pleasant to listen to). I know that you
want to use it with a sound card, but companies that make such claims
make me very suspicious.

Remember, a tube preamp does not a better preamp make. It all boils down
to the design. There are certainly better sounding solid state
(pre)amplifiers than valve ones, and vice versa. I have heard tube
microphone preamps that sound crappy, as well as some wonderful ones.

There are many used tube preamps (Macintosh or the surprisingly
affordable Dynacos come to mind) out there that could probably get you
better results.

(My dos pesos)

Marcos

 From the description:

A common complaint in the age of digitized music is that compression
kills audio quality. Audiophiles found it difficult enough to cope with
16-bit CDs, let alone a 192 kbps MP3 file. The iTube Valve Dock sets out
to restore that quality in your signal chain through time-tested valve
technology. Featuring two 6N1 (ECC85) tubes and a single 6E2 (EM87)
tube, the Valve Dock marries the warmth of classic audio reproduction
with the ease of digital technology. Utilizing a hybrid-tube design
platform, the iTube provides superb audio reproduction and attractive
design at an affordable price.

marcos