[ARSCLIST] Transferring ye old grooved disks -- For Howard

Hi Howard:

OK, this all puts some perspective on your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I'll now share with you a few things I know, and there are others on this list with much more knowledge about the pre-LP disks you specialize in. Mine are a few general pointers, the disk-specific ones I learned from my good friend and mentor Art Shifrin. Others on this list with extensive expertise in making disk-to-digital transfers on this list include Doug Pomeroy and Steve Smolian. I named those two specifically because I know they've made excellent-sounding commercial CD masters from old disk material.

First, read this, a former thread on this list:
a lot of the good tips are here. Almost everything I said about LPs applies to earlier disk formats, except be particularly careful with what you use to clean old disk because, for instance, alcohol dissolves shellac. Again, I want to credit Art Shifrin with sharing his Soundforge tricks and also helping me learn how to (very) conservatively use auto-clean software when necessary so it doesn't suck the still-beating heart out of the musical experience.

Bottom line -- start with as good a source as possible, clean it properly, use as appropriate and good analog equipment as you can afford and transfer at as high resolution as makes sense. What software you use in the computer is your choice. I'm a big fan of Sony Soundforge, others like other programs. For something like what you're doing the older, more straight-forward versions of Soundforge were even better but there is a "lite" or "consumer" version of SF that has a simpler interface. A bad soundcard or low-resolution transfers will cripple your ability to any reasonable fidelity from the get-go. Given how cheap lower-end USB adapters have gotten, I'd probably go that way. Do some research online and pick your weapon. M-Audio, Lexicon, even Behringer all make well-reviewed USB adapters to bring the audio into the computer. If anything in this paragraph is not clear to you, I recommend you do some research on your own because all of this is really elementary to ARSC List regulars and I'm trying to keep this at a very low technical-knowledge level.

Another route some people I know have taken -- very successfully in some cases -- is to avoid getting involved in computer workstation audio and just using a dedicated digital recorder of some sort. Some use a good CD recorder -- Tascam, Denon Professional and Sony still make them, plus I think Marantz Professional still makes a portable CD recorder. At least one person I know with a professional transfer business uses one of the new Tascam flash-memory recorders. There are a growing variety of these machines. I just ordered the newest M-Audio recorder and plan to report back here once I get it in hand and use it a while. Other devices are made by Sony, Zoom, Korg, etc. There are even recorder adapters for iPods. The advantage to this route vs. the computer workstation is that it's more akin to the old days of transferring to a cassette or reel to reel deck and requires little computer literacy (although you need to dump the audio from the flash recorders to a computer to burn a CD). The disadvatnage is that the user interfaces can be even more complex and confusing than workstation software and the options for post-analog processing are limited.

At the risk of being considered "age-ist" by the more politically correct among us, I would suggest you enlist the help of a younger person who is very at-home in the computer operating environment. They will be of great help installing and configuring your setup and showing you the basics of the software. Just make sure to find one with decent communication skills so they can tell you what they heck they're doing with those lightening-fast keystrokes and mouse-clicks. And don't be too intimidated by all the options -- the big difference between software and hardware is that software programmers seem to want to include every possible way to skin the cat at any given point in any given process, which often confuses the average mortal (myself definitely included) and clogs up the user experience.

In today's day and age, especially if you want to get into cleaning up surface ticks and the like, I'd recommend you find a decent audio workstation program and master it. Sony now makes a "consumer" version of Soundforge that seems to include all the features I think you'd want, but what software to use is a very personal choice and I recommend you take the time to research, download and try trial versions and read reviews and tutorials. Software manuals are not as well written as most military manuals, I should add! The Navy electronics course, circa 1960, was how I learned the basics of tube gear and the late 60's version was how I learned discrete solid state basics. If it's new enough to be full of chips and surface-mount stuff, it's not fixable by me.

Anyway, between what I just posted, plus Richard's and Mike's helpful advice plus all the answers to your questions last week, you have some studying to do! Best of luck in your endeavors.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Friedman" <hsf318@xxxxxxxxxxx>