Re: [ARSCLIST] WAV Joiner (was Scully Tape machine users group)

At 01:59 PM 2007-12-15, you wrote:
If I may inject an old note, does anyone know of a reliable program that will join WAV and other files of like format? I have tried several, but they seem to end up crashing my machine.
I have the HiFi MP3 joiner/splitter program, which is excellent for MP3. Is there a companion to this one for WAV files?

Hello, Howard,

Please don't hijack someone else's thread with your questions.

Most of us use EDITING software to join WAV files and may drop a few samples here and there or add some space or whatever. I can't see the need to do this type of joining blindly (see last paragaph).

As I've mentioned in several other posts, I use SAMPLITUDE and Magix's Audio Cleaning Lab is a low-cost, consumer version.

Samplitude (and other good programs) is to audio as Photoshop is to digital image manipulation. $300 gets you a good version of Samplitude without multitrack capabilities. ACL is $40 or so.

Goldwave is another program I use for some batch processing and it is quite good, but I haven't tried editing in it. Audacity is free, but I found I struggled with it compared to Samplitude (but that could be just that its model was foreign to me).

Yes, there is a learning curve to all of this but there are tutorials on the web and the manuals tell you a good deal. It's no different from learning a word processor or a spreadsheet. There are also more appropriate lists and discussion groups, I suspect, for learning the basics of digital audio editing. This list is more about collections of recordings and their preservation.

We still know nothing about you, your education/expertise/experience (though we can surmise you are a beginner in digital audio), your professional goals with all of this work, etc. As I said, we'd like to help, but we'd also like you to spend a few weeks reading appropriate web pages, books, and learning about this as part of a self-study effort. We (Mike and I and others) have posted lots of links in previous messages, have you read them?

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard