Re: [ARSCLIST] Scully (and other) Tape machine mailing lists

At 12:37 PM 2007-12-15, Ken Fritz wrote:

A few days ago I purchased three Scully 280 B tape machines. All are 1/4 " two track at 7 1/2 & 15 ips. All three have the servo drive but only two have servo amps. I have the record / play preamps for only two machines.

Congratulations! Sounds like quite a find.

mailto:scully_recorder-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or go to the scully_recorder group on Yahoo Groups and sign up via the web interface (preferred).

Last message in my files 11-21.

There are at least lists for:
Ampex  ( www.recordist.com )
Studer   ( www.recordist.com )
Sony/MCI  mailto:sony_apr-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ( sony_apr )
Otari mailto:otari_equipment-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (otari_equipment )
Scully  (see above)
3M  mailto:3M_Recorders-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ( 3M_Recorders )

Please note that the SONY/MCI list is for the professional Sony recorders like the APR-5000 and APR-24 which followed on after Sony bought MCI in Florida. I moderate this list. It is NOT for consumer Sony recorders. See reeltoreel, below.

The Ampex list is basically for discussion of Ampex tape machines but also has some related analog recording discussions. This is an unmoderated list, but off-topic postings are discouraged by the membership.

The Studer list discusses Studer tape machines only and generally is focused on the higher-end machines. While it used to be just the Studer Mastering Recorders, machines such as the A810/A807/A812 are also discussed there. Please do not ask any ReVox A77/B77 etc questions on this list. This list is moderated by Fred Thal.

I'm not quite sure who owns or the posting protocol for the Scully, Otari, or 3M lists.While I subscribe to these three, I generally just file them.

As far as traffic goes, Ampex is about equal to ARSC, Studer is about 1/4 of ARSC and Sony is about 10% of ARSC. The balance are very low-volume lists as far as I can tell.

There is also a reel-to-reel group at Yahoo that I don't subscribe to anymore as it really focuses on consumer decks. People there value Revoxes more than Studer pro machines (or at least that was my experience). mailto:reeltoreel-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the same mold, there is a list at www.naks.com for Nakamichi machines.

There are probably more.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,