To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:37 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Scully Tape machine users group

Gentleman.

A few days ago I purchased three Scully 280 B tape machines. All are 1/4 " two track at 7 1/2 & 15 ips. All three have the servo drive but only two have servo amps. I have the record / play preamps for only two machines.

All three machines were showroom display units at a Scully / Ampex dealer in New York city back in the stone ages. It was said that two of the machines have less than 5 hours running time and the third slightly more. The condition of all three is as new. The tape path, heads and all cosmetic features show absolutely no signs of wear. All came with the full user and service manuals which also appear as though they were never used. I purchased them from the gentleman that owned the Scully dealership many years ago.

I look forward to corresponding with other 280 B owners if there are any out there. While I plan on getting two machines up and running in a month or so, The third deck presents a situation; keep it for repair parts if needed in the future, look for record play preamps and a servo amplifier that would be suitable for the Scully deck, or ????

I'm hoping someone out there may have a suggestion or two. I'm an avid audiophile and would not use the machines in a professional venue.

Ken Fritz, Richmond, Va