Re: [ARSCLIST] TO DAVID LEWIS: Re: Tradition/Everest/Vanguard Classics/Bernie Solomon

"Tradition would be an excellent candidate for inclusion in the Smithsonian/Folkways family of labels, n'est ce pas?"

  "Dear Lord, I hope not... they charge $15-$20 per CD, and all you get is a CD-R that may or may not play on your machine, with photocopied artwork on plain paper!"

  I feel I should add the following to what I just posted, which is quoted above... while I admire what Smithsonian/Folkways is doing, if I pay $15-$20 for a compact disc, I expect it to have the original cover art, to be an actual manufactured CD rather than a burned one, to have extensive liner notes (complete with a "where are they now" about the artist), and to be painstakingly restored and remastered from the original source... Smithsonian could charge $5 or $10 for their custom CD-Rs (which are just straight transfers from a master tape onto a CD-R with no restoration, and photocopied inserts on plain paper) and still make a profit.