Re: [ARSCLIST] TO DAVID LEWIS: Re: Tradition/Everest/Vanguard Classics/Bernie Solomon

Point well taken. However I just wanted to say that even though the price is
high, I'm very glad that there is access to the material - we are still in
the infancy stage of digital distribution across the board, and it is much
easier to work from a track based economy than dealing with whole albums,
notes and artwork. Smithsonian/Folkways have shown a real pro-active
attitude and have attacked this problem from a variety of angles.
Back in "the day," ordering Folkways albums, if you were outside NYC, was
always difficult depending on what you wanted. I ordered them through the
Makris Foreign Records store and the "new wave-y" Another Record Store in
Cincinnati; neither had 100 per cent success. I was able to get, for example
"The Piano Music of Henry Cowell" but not "Six Boys in Trouble." That was
circa 1980; today I already have the S/F CD of the Cowell and if I needed
"Six Boys" I know I could order it and it would come.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental language
in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives