Re: [ARSCLIST] "Space" on CD's...

Marcos Sueiro Bal wrote:
Mike,

Fascinating! Thanks for posting this.

Do you know if there is a difference between CD-Rs and the old consumer CD-DA format, which supposedly has "pre-grooved" media? I have heard reports of these sounding better and/or being less error-prone.

Marcos

There is a primer on CD recording at my WWW site with much of the information we have been reiterating here; it may be more convenient to check there rather than burden this list and its archives with the material.

Every CD-R carries a spiral 'groove' in the polycarbonate. The beginning of the spiral is modulated with the ATIP - basic information such as the nominal manufacturer, the nominal length of the disc and the supported burn parameters (max speed, sometimes min speed, strategy).

The CD-DA format has never changed. The "pre-groove" is always present.

You can hear whatever you wish by 'listening' on the Internet. Occasionally, you will even encounter truth. The problem is recognizing it when it arrives.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/