Re: [ARSCLIST] Cetra pressings

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
Not being an opera buff,I would assume it has something to do with the master tape,and the way it was recorded.As for Capitol pressings,of the late 50s,and 60s,I think they have been unfairly maligned by classical listeners.And this is true for the red and blue stereo Angels,too.As the UK/European/Australian EMIs of the first decade of stereo become less and less plentiful,I am seein more non-US listeners/buyers reevaluate these records.And I'm not just saying this,because I own several times as many 1958-68 Angels,as I do non-US EMIs of the same period.Do an A to B sometime of an original red/blue stereo Angel,and a later UK EMI "Greensleeve" of the same recording.

I have many recordings from EMI in multiple incarnations; for example, the Giulini Don Giovanni came first on Angel, then on pre-recorded tape (3 3/4 ips), then on HMV and finally on CD. Each has markedly different sonics from any other. In another case, I have U.S., British and German LP pressings - again all different. Listeners are incredulous at first when I assure them that the German and U.S. versions of Lustige Weiber von Windsor are contemporaneous pressings from the same master tape.

It is true that the Angel pressings sounded worse in the 1950s and 1960s than they do today with a good MC cartridge and elliptical stylus. But at their best they are readily distinguished from their European counterparts.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/