Re: [ARSCLIST] Cetra pressings

Not being an opera buff,I would assume it has something to do with the master tape,and the way it was recorded.As for Capitol pressings,of the late 50s,and 60s,I think they have been unfairly maligned by classical listeners.And this is true for the red and blue stereo Angels,too.As the UK/European/Australian EMIs of the first decade of stereo become less and less plentiful,I am seein more non-US listeners/buyers reevaluate these records.And I'm not just saying this,because I own several times as many 1958-68 Angels,as I do non-US EMIs of the same period.Do an A to B sometime of an original red/blue stereo Angel,and a later UK EMI "Greensleeve" of the same recording.

                            Roger
David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Okay, I found Gianni Schicchi on a later Capitol Cetra pressing. Like night and
day..the Capitol rolls everything off and sounds like a 1930s radio aircheck.
But it's STILL distorted and unlistenable. I'm writing off this whole set (how
could anybody not know how ghastly some of these things sounded? Fancy
packaging and all). Let us presume that an Italian issue isn't going to be any
better.