Re: [ARSCLIST] Leader tape

At 10:03 AM 2007-11-21, Dave Nolan wrote:
I believe there is yet another reason for leader - especially on acetate
tapes.

My experience is that severe dehydration and cupping of the tape is usually
confined to the outermost layers of tape, and then usually only when the
end of the tape has not been taped down with hold-down tape.

Any tapes in our collection that were properly leadered and ends secured
with hold-down tape exhibit zero cupping.

Just wondering...(perhaps Richard or Eric can give us their scientific
opinion):  If there is a tendency of paper leader to attract moisture, does
that make it a low-tech way to keep dehydration of the outer layers on a
reel to a minimum?

Hi, Dave,

I have seen the same thing with acetate tapes and those made on 7" reel (or smaller) recorders have very little leader in the tape itself. I haven't studied why the outer layers cup, but I've always thought that it was just that a tight wind kept them flat. I've never ascribed any moisture-enhancing effects to the leader.

While paper is hygroscopic, I am not sure how much more so it is than acetate. Even polyester (PET) is not totally impervious to moisture and will apparently "wick" it over time. Much less than the other two substances, but I believe more so than PEN that is seeing its way into some high-performance tapes.

Cheers,

Richard