Re: [ARSCLIST] Leader tape

I believe there is yet another reason for leader - especially on acetate
tapes.

My experience is that severe dehydration and cupping of the tape is usually
confined to the outermost layers of tape, and then usually only when the
end of the tape has not been taped down with hold-down tape.

Any tapes in our collection that were properly leadered and ends secured
with hold-down tape exhibit zero cupping.

Just wondering...(perhaps Richard or Eric can give us their scientific
opinion):  If there is a tendency of paper leader to attract moisture, does
that make it a low-tech way to keep dehydration of the outer layers on a
reel to a minimum?

dave nolan
92nd Street Y
nyc