Re: [ARSCLIST] embeded audio

Marcos Sueiro Bal wrote:
From our multi-media gurus here at Columbia:

CU has never supported Windows Media, to my knowledge, and I don't know the historical reasons. CUIT supports streaming servers for Real and QuickTime only.

I think we prefer the quality standards of QuickTime audio and video, and the fact that the QT player is typically bundled with iTunes makes it a nice standard platform for both Mac and PC. It also allows us to do enhanced podcasting (which is limited to the AAC format, which is specific to iTunes).

On the user side, Microsoft no longer makes a Windows Media player for Mac, but there's a free plugin called Flip4Mac that allows you to play WMA/WMV clips in the QuickTime player.

On the PC, MOV has proved a problematic format. QuickTime is an invasive program, seeking to take over formats despite the user's wishes. It is also prone to inferior playback, typically providing erratic audio. For both reasons, other players such as QT Alternative have proved popular, though they have (lesser) audio problems on high-quality files.

I analyzed the options some years ago when establishing standards for my own WWW site and settled on RealMedia for video and, initially, low-rate WAV for audio. I maintained contact with developments and switched to MP3 when the Fraunhofer codec became available. But I still find that RealMedia is a good choice for video across all relevant platforms, not only PC and Mac. Of course, I avoid RealPlayer on the PC since it is both bloated and intrusive.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/