Re: [ARSCLIST] How to determine the state of tapes?

Maurice,

I found these two resources from AES to be useful this past summer for a project where I was assessing a collection of field tapes:

http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/aorintr1.html
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/basftapedoc.html

As has been pointed out, experience is the best tool for identifying tape types and problems. Lacking that (extensive experience with tape), I found these charts to be helpful in making some educated guesses about what it was I was dealing with. From that point, I could do more research to find the known problems with the product number(s) I thought I had. In one case, these charts helped me discover that a couple of the tapes were actually PVC, and on further research I learned that PVC tapes are prone to shredding under tension.

- Aaron

Aaron M. Bittel
Graduate Assistant, Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY