Re: [ARSCLIST] Early DG 78s/History

No.There are the blue label 78s,from DG,that have a more stylized Nipper.These date from the 30s,and 40s.I have a bunch of these.Furtwangler and HvK are the ones I see the most often,but I do have a Wilhem Kempff as well.There was Karajan from the 40s of "Tales From The Vienna Woods" on eBay last week of this era.

                                    Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jacques-URLUS-RARE-GERMAN-GRAMMOPHON_W0QQitemZ250186240976QQihZ015QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
> I had seen records on this label turn up a number of times on eBay in recent
years, but had never actually seen one.
> Does anyone have a source for information about DG's ties to The Gramophone
Company/EMI/HMV,and how and why they severed these ties,and stopped using the
HMV dog on their labels ?Would this have been sometime shortly after WWII?

Right idea...wrong war! DG was originally the German branch of the UK-based
"Gramophone (& Typewriter) Company"...and as such had rights to use the
noted "Nipper image!" When WWI erupted, the connections between DG and
its erstwhile UK "master" were broken (there was also a German "pirate"
operation, using legally-acquired HMV/Victor sides...!).

Electrola replaced DG after WWI...and served as the connection to issue
Victor and HMV(UK) material after WWI. WWII brought a whole new set of
complications...Electrola gradually disappeared, and DG dropped any
connections with RCA Victor, becoming a major classical-LP label once
the effects of the war wore off.