Re: [ARSCLIST] Revox A77

Hello, Peter,

Affording and/or getting a fair/good price on an A77 is one question, the overall desirability of that machine for archival work is questionable today. Since you refer to yourself as a "babe in the woods in this area", please forgive me if I over simplify this.

Please don't get me wrong, I made many lovely recordings on my four A77s (I still have two, one working well), but I don't find a place for them in my restoration and transfer work. The last time I used an A77 was as a trial machine to see how cold playing would work on squealing tapes.

First of all, the A77 is at least 30 years old. There were at least four different versions of the machine (Mk 1 - Mk IV) and IMHO, only the MKIII or MK IV are worth getting (my good one is a MKIII). But these are 30 year old machines. Most, if not all, of the parts are at least 30 years old.

Second, what shape are the heads in? Even before that, what heads are in it? Quarter track stereo or two-track stereo? Many machines that might be "creampuff" candidates I suspect would be quarter track, sold to consumers who took care of them. Most of the two-track decks were used professionally and are probably worthless today except as parts donors.

See the following link for track information.
http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-reel-tape/

There may be some NOS parts available, but changing out the heads would be a multiple-hundred-dollar effort if you could find the heads or an appropriate substitute. If you have to buy new pro heads (because nothing else is available) that is a couple of hundred a head, would be my guess, not counting installation.

Third - The A77s definitely don't play back as well as they record, and they are not the most gentle transport around. These are constant torque rather than constant tension machines.

If you're spending in the multiple hundreds of dollars, you might consider an alternate machine. Some of the B77 or PR99 ReVox machines are newer by a decade and may be a better choice. If you're lucky, for half a grand you might find working pro machines such as the Studer A810 (though these go for more than that now, but I've been lucky in the past), or Sony APR-5000 which is one of my two favourite tape machines for many reasons.

But with any machine, even if it starts out as a mint creampuff, will need service work. How will that happen?

I would need to understand your goals in acquiring and using this machine far better to make a recommendation.

Good luck. I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Richard