Re: [ARSCLIST] Phonograph Cylinder Storage

Then where do you put the drawers,he snarked.How heavy are they,when filled with cylinders? Would the bottoms come out of the drawers ? If you put them in a  bureau,would it topple over with a crash ? Enquiring minds wanna know.

                                      Roger

"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram"
> The cylinders, thanks.
> On 6 nov 2007, at 02.17, Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
> > The phonographs,the records or both ?
> > Roger
> > D P Ingram  wrote: Hi.
> > > I need to specify some storage drawers for a phonograph cylinder
> > > collection. I want to ensure that it will fit all 4 minute and 2
> > > minute cylinders with their packaging. Is there any published "max"
> > > dimension so that I can locate suppliers in Europe for this?

Step 1: Measure a few cylinders in their cases. Most will probably
be very close to one another in diameter and height (assuming you
are not including any 6" long or 5" across large cylinders).

Step 2: Select the quantity of cylinders which you would prefer
to place in each drawer (this should be a number with fairly
common factors, like 48 [3x2x2x2] or 72 [3x3x2x2]). You can now
establish the length and width of each drawer (which will vary,
according to whether you want the drawers to include thin
dividers, creating single-cylinder spaces, or whether you want
the cylinders tightly packed into the drawers...i.e.:)
__________________            ___________
|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|o|       OR: |ooooooooo|
 (repeat for 8 rows)          (as at left)

The drawer size will depend on the selected storage method...
the one on the left will need drawers 9w + 10d wide (where
w=width of case and d=width of divider) by 8w + 9d long. The
second method will need drawers 9w wide by 8w long. The
heights of the drawers will be 1/4" or so more than the
height of the cylinder cases.

Step 3: give your dimensions to whomever will be looking
after your drawers (your cabinet drawers, NOT your BVD's...?!).

Note: the 9 x 8 drawers I use for illustration will store
72 records each. Since cased cylinders are usually about
4.5" high, and some vertical space must be allowed for
(or about 5" per drawer)...a 12-drawer cabinet should be
just over 5' (60") high and store 864 cylinders. So, divide
the number of cylinders in the collection by 864 (if you
are still adding records, be sure and allow for future
acqisitions...!).

Steven C. Barr
(whose allowing for "future acquisitions" explains why any
milk box in Oshawa which is NOT on the premises of a milk
dealer...or in use by a private citizen for his/her/its
own purposes...is very likely to spend the rest of its
days in my abode...?!)