Re: [ARSCLIST] Phonograph Cylinder Storage

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> Then where do you put the drawers,he snarked.How heavy are they,when filled
with cylinders? Would the bottoms come out of the drawers ? If you put them in a
bureau,would it topple over with a crash ? Enquiring minds wanna know.

I'm trying to recall just how heavy cylinder records actually ARE...?!
As I remember from having handled a few (note that I DON'T collect the
durn things...?!)...they would run a half-pound each or less.

The plans I submitted involved 72 cylinders/drawer...or about 30/40
pounds per full drawer. The drawers SHOULD use at least 1/4" plywood
(or similar) as drawer bottoms...firmly held in place (perhaps set
into mortised grooves in the sides)...so that, unlike current milk
boxes, there is VERY little likelihood of the drawer bottoms
suddenly and spectacularly parting company with the drawers
(as long as they are not used for the storage of anvils...?!):-)

One important point would (or should) be that, at most, no more
than two or three drawers should be pulled out to their fullest
extent. It would require VERY complicated computing to establish
the actual number...but, if one pulled out almost all of the
drawers simultaneously, there is a very great likelihood of the
renactment of "l'affaire Freres Collyer ...?!

OTOH, I am virtually always in mortal danger of being under a
toppling stack of milk boxes...BUT...so far, the only collapse
that ever actually occured left ME uninjured (but DID break a
bunch of UK Decca records that I can no longer easily, or even
affordably, replace...?!)

Also, note that I HAVE seen drawer sets intended for the storage
of cylinder records...but with one important difference...! These
were intended for the storage of UNboxed cylinders...so that the
drawers contained sets of mandrel-sized pegs on which cylinders
could be placed...?!