Re: [ARSCLIST] [was ARSCLIST] When you die...

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

(1) ANY sound recording NOT fixed in the US of A is under copyright
for, usually, fifty years (in some cases, the end of the fiftieth
year following its being "fixed" (Don't dare use that word where
Ecru can overhear me...?!).

(2) If the sound recording did NOT originate in the US of A, it is
presumably NOT affected by Sonny Bono's "ultimate copyright term"
legislation...?!

(3) OTOH, if the recording is a non-US reissue of a sound recording
fixed in the US of A, it DOES fall under the "Bono Act," and will
not be p.d. in the US of A until 1/1/2067...?!

That is not my understanding of the law - but I am not an attorney either.

The copyright on works which are in public domain where they were performed, fixed, and/or published is "restored" in the U.S. The infamous case of Capitol vs. Naxos concerned recordings made and published in England where they are in the public domain. The ruling as I understand it is that they are protected through restoration of copyright in the U.S.

Whether a transcription disc would have its copyright restored I cannot guess.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/