Re: [ARSCLIST] [was ARSCLIST] When you die...

I'm curious...what's to stop a site like this from moving overseas to
another country NOT subject to the Sonny Bono Act?

On the IMSLP site, there is a mention of moving to a server in Canada.
Could similar sites offering audio files move to Europe or the Cayman
Islands (or places previously reserved for tax-dodges and unscrupulous
accounting practices and suchlike)?  I know this is popular with p2p
file-sharing sites, and perhaps that is the future of recorded sound
archives as well.  A copyright-dodge rather than a tax dodge.

I'm sure all on this list have friends who make the majority of their
income selling American recordings to collectors in foreign countries.
The material seems to be more valued overseas than at home, so perhaps
it is fitting that the archives be established overseas as well where
they are not subject to our draconian copyright laws. Given the number
of foreign re-issue labels that have traditionally dealt with American
recordings that have languished in the hands of the domestic rights
holders, I can't see how this can be far behind.

Sadly it reminds me a bit of that Etruscan chariot in the Met.  Only
things have reversed and American cultural treasures are now being
exported to Europe...