From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karl Miller
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 10:01 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [was ARSCLIST] When you die...

  An interesting case in point...The International Music Score Library
Project...from their web site:
  " On Saturday October 13, 2007, I received a second Cease and Desist
letter from Universal Edition. At first I thought this letter would be
similar in content to the first Cease and Desist letter I received in
August. However, after lengthy discussions with very knowledgeable
lawyers and supporters, I became painfully aware of the fact that I, a
normal college student, has neither the energy nor the money necessary
to deal with this issue in any other way than to agree with the cease
and desist, and take down the entire site. I cannot apologize enough to
all IMSLP contributors, who have done so much for IMSLP in the last two
years."

Basically, what happened, as far as I know, was that the site offered
scanned versions of public domain music. Well, some of it was not PD in
the US, hence the cease and desist letter.