Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

I sent this once already, but it never arrived in my inbox. Apologies if you get it twice..

 at some point we need to be clear that these are NOT masters - have
NO artifactual value - are not unique - and so have very small value -
and high cost to keep for reasons that are at best very unclear.

The number of copies of a disc is always diminishing. It's surprising
how quickly a disc (or a book) can go down to a handful of surviving
copies.

With the current migration of music to digital mediums, many consumers are now buying (or otherwise acquiring) all their music in completely digital form. Ones music collection may reside entirely on their computer and their iPod. This seems to be the way of the future. As Jim pointed out, the cost of storage is always increasing, as anyone who owns a storage locker knows, and many personal collections are being dumped because the owners can no longer afford to keep them (I had all my records in a storage locker for five years at over $100/month, simply because I couldn't bear to part with them) so, as Don says, the supply is always diminishing. I think that within our children's lifetime the value of owning music that is simply on a physical carrier will be greatly increased, for curiosity's sake if nothing else (the same reason that children's toys from the early part of the 20th century command huge prices at antique auctions, because most of them got broken or destroyed). As a species, I think we will always be curious about how our ancestors and forebearers lived, which explains why archaeologists go nuts when they find ancient garbage dumps. I am personally very glad that my dad saved all his old scratchy Coleman Hawkins and Woody Herman records, for very personal reasons that have nothing to do with their artifactual or monetary value. When I was a child, I dismissed the music my parents listened to as old fogey stuff, but as the years go on, I keep digging farther and farther back.

-Matt Sohn