Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

Malcom Davidson's inspiring post included this paragraph:

So what is required is a metadata repository listing all recordings ever
made and then listings of where the masters and any copies exist (within
reason)  It could be set up along the lines of the Wikipedia model, where
"Members", continually add to the listings..  We would also need to know
about original releases, re-releases and so on.  Unfortunately, one of the
challenges is that humans never tend to consider the long term.  We are too
busy worrying about tomorrow, and the subsequent bottom line.

I agree with his thoughts, but would add that for our purposes, the Wikipedia model would need to be tightened up. But rather than preventing contributions by all but a select few, I would hope to see the repository's growth overseen by a strong managing editor. I believe this was how the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary was accomplished.

Best,
Rod