Re: [ARSCLIST] Some questions on long-term storage of audio CDs

Tom wrote:

> I bet there were more than 40,000 released 1982-present BUT I would
> also bet there are fewer than 40,000 still in print. It's amazing how
> many classical titles have been taken out of print in the last few
> years. Jazz too, for that matter.

It would not surprise me if the number of commercial audio CD releases
since 1982 (and worldwide) numbers a lot more than 40,000. Then there
are those releases which sort of sit in the gray area between private
releases and true commercial releases.

I would assume that GraceNote, freeDB, etc., have some estimates, but
so far I haven't located any information I can hang a hat on. One
would think that somewhere there's mention of a reasonable estimate.
Anyone here know?

(In building an archive where one acquires both used and new audio
CDs, the issue of out-of-print versus in-print is not an important
consideration. I'd like to know how many "unique" ones we may have to
handle, plus duplicates for each unique release.)

Jon Noring