To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The dawn of commercial digital recordings

Frank Zappa interview on digital recording 1984
http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/interviews/Digital_Audio.html

The English Beat's "Special Beat Service"was also digitally recorded in 1982.

But the first one was,indeed "Bop 'Til You Drop"
bop till you drop - album reviews Following his conceptual 1978 release, Jazz, Ry Cooder returned the next year with the R&B/soul-based Bop Till You Drop. The first major-label, digitally recorded album, ~ Brett Hartenbach, All Music Guide

According to the Billboard page, http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/discography/more.jsp?tp=albums&pid=4347&aid=4687
it did not chart.According to Billboard,The Beat album did not chart either.I don't want to sit here and plug album names from 1979-82 into "Google",to see what was the first digitally recorded album to make the pop charts.But you can do this as well as I can.

Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: No, Bop 'Til You Drop was definitely recorded all-digital. What might have happened, but I doubt it,
is that the Ry Cooder album wasn't out on CD before Brothers In Arms. But that wasn't my question --
the question was what was the first made-all-digital rock album and I am not 90+% sure it was Ry
Cooder.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Wise"
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:13 AM

I thought Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" (1985) was the first DDD recording. I think this was also the first CD to sell more than a million copies.

- Jonathan Wise