From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dnjchi@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:25 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Modern Cylinder Phonograph

In a message dated 10/18/2007 7:17:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

--- Tom  Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  My dad had  a
> few tricks on recording from
> Edison horns, but I don't know  any of them.

I think the main goal, if you're doing it accoustically,  is
to have as little air mass between the diaphragm of the
reproducer  and the diaphragm of the microphone as possible.
I picked up a couple old  Shure lavs a few years ago.

Or, as I did, locate one of those mikes that came with the cassette
recorders a decade or so ago.  Find a piece of rubber tubing that just
fits  over the
Edicon soundbox sleeve.  Then tape the hose (a piece about two  inches
long)
onto the head of the mike.  Place the tubing onto the  soundbox, and the

assembly will probably not need to supported; it depends on  the weight
of the mike.
Feed the output into a flat input of the amplifier,  preferably a mike
input.
 The sound is quite respectable.

Don Chichester

Don Chichester