Re: [ARSCLIST] 78 rpm fragments in archaeological contexts

--- Oliver Mueller-Heubach <ommuel@xxxxxx> wrote:

>  Unfortunately, the fragments found are generally
> only1-4 cm. in size. The analog method that occurs to me is to cut
> a section out
> of a poor condition, non-archaeological 78 with a Dremel-type tool
> and then
> patch in the fragment and play, listening for the deviation from
> the surrounding
> song. This would probably prove difficult in terms of aligning
> grooves and
> identifying such a minute section of music, but I will be giving it
> a try.

I can't see how such an approach would be successful.  As you
said, aligning grooves would be difficult if not impossible
as you'd need to know the pitch and radius of the groove on
your sample.  You'd also be hard pressed to decipher the
short burst of one recording buried in the other.  If you
could determine the pitch and radius of the grooves in your
sample, and cut a signal-less groove of the same pitch in
an appropriate medium (like dental wax) then insert your
fragment into that disk and listen for any information
as is compares to the quiet surface around it you *might*
be able to tell if the record was a vocal, band, etc. but
I doubt if you'd find out much else.  It would certainly be
possible to scan the groove fragments and convert that data
to an audio file, (and be much easier than the mechanical
method you propose) but again, you'd be hearing such a minute
fragment of the original sound wave that you could only
classify the type of music at a very high level.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

that gives answers, not web links.