[ARSCLIST] 78 rpm fragments in archaeological contexts

Hello
I’m an historical archaeology Ph.D. student at the College of William and Mary
working on a paper for a material culture class. My goal is to create a
methodology for using the 78 rpm record fragments commonly found on early
20th century archaeological sites to help look at issues of class, race, ethnicity,
and gender. Since it is very rare to find fragments with portions of the label
surviving, the paper will focus on things like material composition, thickness,
edge-type, etc. I would like to produce a typology of characteristics that might
correlate with different economy and deluxe labels, series, and date ranges.
Ideally, I would like to find a way to read the grooves on the fragments to help
identify the type of music.  Unfortunately, the fragments found are generally
only1-4 cm. in size. The analog method that occurs to me is to cut a section out
of a poor condition, non-archaeological 78 with a Dremel-type tool and then
patch in the fragment and play, listening for the deviation from the surrounding
song. This would probably prove difficult in terms of aligning grooves and
identifying such a minute section of music, but I will be giving it a try. I have
seen some reports of digital scanning and reconstruction of broken 78s and
cylinders, but apparently these techniques are being applied to restore mostly
complete recordings. Is  there a way that single record fragments could be read
digitally to interpret the style of music (or even compare it to graphs generated
by the practice of re-mastering old recordings and thus match the actual song)?
I realize this is probably a long shot, but if there is a chance, it would be a great
archaeological tool.
Thanks in advance
Oliver Mueller-Heubach