Re: [ARSCLIST] Infinite digital storage

In a message dated 10/13/2007 12:59:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
However,  as we digitize movies (including their soundtracks...!) it is easy
to  see
that we have needs for more storage and/or larger archives...anyone out
there
want to hazard a guess of the size of "The complete archive of  motion
pictures,
189?-1960"...?

Steven C.  Barr

*************

I recently attended a local SMPTE session at Kodak demonstrating their
Digital Cinema system. The original "digital negative" (uncompressed TIFF files  of
each frame) of a feature film takes only 7 or 8 terrabytes, usually  archived
on data tape. The JPEG2000 lossless compression files used for  distribution
are much less than a terrabyte and easily distributed on hard  drives to
theaters at far less cost than a 35 mm print.

The quality in the laboratory setting was far better than I've seen in a
theater recently; no dust, scratches or visible grain, or any digital artifacts
that I could see.  This, of course, includes color, multi-track sound, and
even 3D!

A server somewhat larger than a desktop computer can handle the all of  the
runs of a ten screen cineplex with each film occupying a hard disc  slot.

JPEG2000 lossless is being considered adaquate for archival purposes for
film, so it is possible to calculate the size and cost of a digital archive of
feature films now, and of course the cost will keep decreasing.

And if you are willing to accept compression losses, the files can be made
about as small as you want.

Mike Csontos