To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] regurgitators

The Philharmonic Family Library. Source: Music Treasures of the World, =
possibly Urania (David gideon). Were these a mail-order outfit drawing =
on Concert Hall?

Music Treasures was mail order; Philharmonic Family Library was one a week (anonymous artists but the same performances as the identified performers on MTotW) at the grocery store in dark red individual boxes. Neither had anything to do with Concert Hall, and both got their recordings via American Recording Society--a label that primarily specialized in contemporary music. But they did produce some standard repertoire stuff and that came out on MTotW and eventually the PFL, with additional European Urania-style stuff licensed in to fill out the contents. The credits for the Philharmonic Family Library included several people from ARS so they were probably the primary producers of this series. Some of the ARS originals in this series later appeared on the ARS's own label in stereo, and eventually on Audio Fidelity.

Standard Treasury of the World's Great Music. 16 records in an unweildy =
album.

A one-a-week anonymous grocery store set in a very heavy binder. It was produced by Funk & Wagnalls.

Basic Library of the World's Greatest Music. 24 Volumes. Published by =
Standard Reference Works. Supervised by the Funk & Wagnall's Editor in =
Chief.

Also a one-a-week anonymous grocery store set, but it used the same recordings as the Standard Treasury plus a few more. They were, however, packaged completely differently: no unweildly album, but individual greenish boxes. (The packaging was almost a clone of the Philharmonic Family Library, just as the packaging of the Standard Treasury was nearly identical to that of the Webster Library. But oddly, the sets packaged similarly had different performances from each other.)

We have reissued most of the Basic Library/Standard Treasury, much of it from half-track stereo tapes, which sound a lot better than the Basic Library LPs. Interestingly, the Standard Treasury LPs often sounded distinctly superior to the same recordings in the Basic Library, particularly re frequency response. But the ST only had 16 LPs to the BL's 24.

dg

--
http://www.rediscovery.us
http://www.rediscoverypodcast.us