Re: [ARSCLIST] Balancing Amps?

Hi, Andy, I have eight Aphex 124As. Four are in the patchbay (letting me use my Tascam 238 Syncasette), two are dedicated to the left Dragons and close to them under the worksurface, one is on top of the refrigerator for the refrigerated Dragon, and the eighth is a spare. I got all of these used or NOS on eBay (except the first one which was NOS from where I worked before). Average price was about $100. THey show up often on eBay and I haven't gotten a broken one yet. I've also bought four Aphex

I have also bought four Aphex 120A http://www.aphex.com/120A.htm distribution amplifiers. One was for my church, one was an on-hand spare and two were if/when I need a "stereo" distribution amp--I got rid of a whole bunch of card-mounted DAs. I really like the Aphex gear and think it is well made, robust, and does the job well. The fact that it has line cords and not wall-warts is an attraction to me.

The performance of the Aphex 124A is way above the performance of the Dragon/tape combination, so I don't think it's an issue.

The Henry does not have the extended bandwidth of the Aphex which might be a consideration for those who digitize at 96,000 samples per second. On the other hand, I'd rather put the narrower-bandwidth Henry near an AM radio transmitter. Also the Henry is DC coupled which might or might not be a problem. I would again prefer the AC coupling of the Aphex.

While I also like RANE gear, they do often use wall-warts. The item you mentioned, however, uses audio transformers for the conversion and the Dragon has a high, non-standard output impedance which is above the input impedance specified by the Rane BB44X, so I would nix that.

The RDL FP-UBC series is typical of RDL gear in that it requires an external supply that you have to attach to a barrier strip. RDL gear is good and flexible. In this case, however, the distortion and noise performance is inferior to the Aphex 124A. It does have a bandwidth adequate for 96 ks/s digitization. I have used RDL gear and while it works, the powering is always another step to worry about.

The RDL ST-UBA2 is spec'd inferior to the FP-UBC and has more difficult interfacing (I buy pre-fab cables from Hosa and the like, so I prefer plug-in these days). All other RDL comments apply.

The one device that I find interesting for your application that you didn't mention is the 8-channel IHF-Balanced only (unidirectional) Aphex 228 http://www.aphex.com/228.htm -- it's specs are more than adequate (though the -3 dB at 16 Hz is a bit scary for organ recordings with the DPA4006s) and it is a one-box solution. I was looking at one, but I needed bidirectional and buying four 124As on eBay was about the same price as buying this new.

FYI, I did install the two dedicated 124As since you were here at the seminar. I found that the longer run of the left Dragons to the patchbay degraded their signal slightly compared to the right Dragons and they got a little more hum -- well below tape noise with a tape playing, but we have to make it as good as possible. Having separate units would increase the ease of collocation of the Dragons and the balance boxes.

As an aside, Dragons and 124As seem to work very well on computer-style (APC) UPSs. I have the A810, APR-5000s, Dragons, Aphex 124s and the computers all on a couple of APC 1200W tower-style UPSs, so I don't get glitches in the transfers if I have a power hit. The A80s do NOT like the APC flavour of power.

Cheers,

Richard