From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 7:13 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] recommendations solicited -- simple analog-to-digital
USB setup

Hi All:

I have a friend, an older person, who is very expert in all things analog --
and has a wonderful
setup for playing tapes and records. However, he is far from expert on
anything computer and is not
likely to gain the expertise of a 20-year-old ever. He has an iMac and wants
to transfer some of his
tapes and records to digital so he can burn CD's for his car.

I live in a PC world, so I'm not sure what's out there for the Mac. I think
he's OK making the CD's
in Roxio Toast, but what's a good, simple, non-kludged audio recorder/editor
-- in other words is
there a Mac equiv of Sony Soundforge Audio Studio (ie "lite")?
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=454

And, what's a good and simple-as-possible USB interface for him? I think he
wants to transfer 96/24,
but I think almost any A-D interace will do 96/24 these days. I don't think
he has to have balanced
inputs and outputs, but something that can handle +4 input levels would be
preferable. He has no
need for mic preamps or any sort of built-in hardware beyond maybe input
trimmers.

So, for the Mac world, does such a simple solution exist? Think the opposite
of what a total
"engineer type" would want (ie as few useless "features" as possible, as
simple and direct a user
interface as possible -- think of the phones with big number buttons made
for old folks as a model).

Thanks in advance!

-- Tom Fine