[ARSCLIST] recommendations solicited -- simple analog-to-digital USB setup

Hi All:

I have a friend, an older person, who is very expert in all things analog -- and has a wonderful setup for playing tapes and records. However, he is far from expert on anything computer and is not likely to gain the expertise of a 20-year-old ever. He has an iMac and wants to transfer some of his tapes and records to digital so he can burn CD's for his car.

I live in a PC world, so I'm not sure what's out there for the Mac. I think he's OK making the CD's in Roxio Toast, but what's a good, simple, non-kludged audio recorder/editor -- in other words is there a Mac equiv of Sony Soundforge Audio Studio (ie "lite")?
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=454

And, what's a good and simple-as-possible USB interface for him? I think he wants to transfer 96/24, but I think almost any A-D interace will do 96/24 these days. I don't think he has to have balanced inputs and outputs, but something that can handle +4 input levels would be preferable. He has no need for mic preamps or any sort of built-in hardware beyond maybe input trimmers.

So, for the Mac world, does such a simple solution exist? Think the opposite of what a total "engineer type" would want (ie as few useless "features" as possible, as simple and direct a user interface as possible -- think of the phones with big number buttons made for old folks as a model).

Thanks in advance!

-- Tom Fine