Re: [ARSCLIST] BWF RF64

on 9/6/07 8:50 PM US/Central, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to set a "STANDARD" (ie lock-step, ie dictated
> from on high) of PCM sampling and bit rates. Bits is bits.

The problem with this approach is that smaller preservation clients have a
brother-in-law, or a friendly neighbor who has 'been doing this type of work
for years' and promises that a Sony MiniDisc recorder is just fine.

In these cases, published standards help educate smaller clients who would
otherwise be making a mistake they'd have to live with.

While you may be qualified to determine whether 48 or 192 kHz is appropriate
depending on program material, there are large institutions who solicit
vendors based on bid specifications which are themselves derived from IASA
standards. They don't really care what your judgment is, or even if you're
qualified to make any judgment call whatsoever.

One of the best bid specifications I ever saw was from the City of Boston.
It was an excellent, well thought out bid specification for their audio
preservation needs, and little was left to the vendor to decide.

The standards protect the smaller preservation clients who don't have the
resources to hire a professional consultant like yourself, but whose project
might be funded by a Grammy Foundation grant.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation