Re: [ARSCLIST] BWF RF64

Parker,

I agree in principal with your statements below - if we had left "standards" regarding the storage of digital data to those in the recording studio, we would have a legacy of various (mostly obsolete) formats that would serve us quite poorly from an archival perspective. You mentioned DAT, I could add to that DASH/ PD/ 1630/ etc., all of which "studio professionals" would have recommended at the time as the best equipment/ media for storage.

I can name several artists' (and publishing) catalogs that were migrated to the "professional" flavor of the day, only to have them revisited and find them now at risk due to the obsolesce of the format.

However, I'm not quite sure what you meant with this statement:
So, I really don't see how today's perception of interchange issues should
override professional audio preservation standards - otherwise wouldn't much
of the 1990s era audio be on DAT media today?

As I said in my reply, "Interchange between platforms is an additional side benefit." I DON'T think interchange issues should override professional audio preservation standards. Since ultimately we are dealing with data, the usage of a file format that is open, documented, and published for all to see would seem to be a primary benchmark.

Also, you wrote:
To me, the real value of the Grammy preservation methodology is the fairly
explicit data backup descriptions. The current methodology provides some
peace of mind in an area which has potential professional liability.

Here is where you will find a significant deviance from the 2 documents we are discussing. The Grammy Foundation document you referenced mentions RAID, or "Automated Media Library", AND, either Gold CD-R/ AIT/ DLT/ LTO under the topic "ARCHIVING" (see page 4).

In contrast, the current version of the P&E Wing document does not recommend Gold CD-R or RAID (nor Automated Media Library) as an archival deliverable, and the next version will most likely lose DLT and SAIT as those products are reaching End Of Life based on information provided by the companies that make the equipment mentioned (Quantum and Sony, respectively).

Adding to the problem is the choice of a backup application that may as well create issues at a later date - this is also addressed in the P&E Wing document - and not mentioned in the Grammy Foundation document.

I hope that helps clarify what I was saying (I obviously didn't do it very well the first time!).

John

jspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxx