Re: [ARSCLIST] Speaking of 16" transcriptions

Tom Fine wrote:
Here's a somewhat related question.

Back in the direct-to-disk (first era) days, if a band came in with a long chart, one that everyone knew would be released as "Part I" and "Part II", was the wax cut larger than 10" and then later dubbed/divided onto 10" masters? I would think that you could fit, for instance, "Sing Sing Sing (Christopher Columbus)" complete on a 16" metal part, but all the CD reissues seem to be digital splicing of two 10" masters.

-- Tom Fine

Recording onto a 16" master for re-dubbing wasn't even a reality till 1939, and even then the tracks were always the length they would ultimately be on 78 RPM. But "Sing Sing Sing" WAS dubbed down to a 10-inch master from the two twelve-inch sides (a few other discs suffered this ignominy)..lots of music lost, but now they could fit in the juke box.

dl