Re: [ARSCLIST] 16" transcription player on ebay

This is way off topic, but it's on my mind:
Is it true that there are Beatles pressings that are completely unique because someone in the factory slipped in a colored vinyl biscuit? I've been told that and was wondering. So, if that's true, you wouldn't have the only pressing, but you could have a totally unique version. Phillip

David Lennick wrote:
If it's a vinyl pressing, you can be sure that it's not the only one in existence. If it were an aluminum or glass-based disc with a lacquer coating, different story..these were made for studio and broadcast and film use.

You asked for a quick history..the 16-inch disc was used for providing the "sound track" for the early Vitaphone films beginning in 1926 because that size at that speed would contain the same amount of material as one reel of film. Radio stations began using syndicated programs only a couple of years later and these were still standard 78s, but the 16-inch 33RPM disc was found to be satisfactory by 1930 since it could hold 15 minutes of material in acceptable sound. Tape was developed in Germany in the 30s and was used for recording programs there, but didn't come to North America till the late 40s and the 16-inch disc remained the standard for many years. Early LPs were inconsistent (some very thin sounding, some very muddy, every label had its own curve) while the 16-incher was a known quantity. As noted elsewhere, it was still in service in the sixties.

dl

Doug Henkle wrote:
I'm sorry, but it seems my technical in-expertise has muddied the waters. I bought my first LP/Microgroove/33-1/3 record in 1958 when I was in High School. Every 10" and 12" record I ever bought played on the players bought at the time and since. Until this discussion, I thought LP/Microgroove/33-1/3 records were all created alike and all three terms referred to the exact same thing. Other than the "33-1/3" on the label, I do not know if what I have is an "LP" or something else, and I don't know how to tell what it is. I'm sorry if I used the term "LP" incorrectly.

What equipment do I need to buy to make a one-time measurement (and probably never use again) to determine whether this record has a 1 mil, 1.8, 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 mil groove or something else? I don't know how to tell the difference between all these varieties.

In all the responses, no one has mentioned that they have ever heard, seen, or read about in print of another 16" record produced at UW-Madison. Is there anyone specific I should contact in the Oshkosh / Milwaukee / Madison area that does have the expertise to identify exactly what it is I have, and whether it is the only one still in existence, however I doubt that it is? Thanks.
Doug Henkle - mailto:henkle@xxxxxxxxx
P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447