Re: [ARSCLIST] 16" transcription player on ebay

Beatles and other stuff.The color vinyl US United Artists "Hard day's Night" pops to mind.

                                      Roger

phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: This is way off topic, but it's  on my mind:
Is it true that there are Beatles pressings that are completely unique
because someone in the factory slipped in a colored vinyl biscuit?  I've
been told that and was wondering.  So, if that's true, you wouldn't have
the only pressing, but you could have a totally unique version.
Phillip

David Lennick wrote:
> If it's a vinyl pressing, you can be sure that it's not the only one
> in existence. If it were an aluminum or glass-based disc with a
> lacquer coating, different story..these were made for studio and
> broadcast and film use.
>
> You asked for a quick history..the 16-inch disc was used for providing
> the "sound track" for the early Vitaphone films beginning in 1926
> because that size at that speed would contain the same amount of
> material as one reel of film. Radio stations began using syndicated
> programs only a couple of years later and these were still standard
> 78s, but the 16-inch 33RPM disc was found to be satisfactory by 1930
> since it could hold 15 minutes of material in acceptable sound. Tape
> was developed in Germany in the 30s and was used for recording
> programs there, but didn't come to North America till the late 40s and
> the 16-inch disc remained the standard for many years. Early LPs were
> inconsistent (some very thin sounding, some very muddy, every label
> had its own curve) while the 16-incher was a known quantity. As noted
> elsewhere, it was still in service in the sixties.
>
> dl
>
> Doug Henkle wrote:
>>      I'm sorry, but it seems my technical in-expertise has muddied
>> the waters.  I bought my first LP/Microgroove/33-1/3 record in 1958
>> when I was in High School.  Every 10" and 12" record I ever bought
>> played on the players bought at the time and since.  Until this
>> discussion, I thought LP/Microgroove/33-1/3 records were all created
>> alike and all three terms referred to the exact same thing. Other
>> than the "33-1/3" on the label, I do not know if what I have is an
>> "LP" or something else, and I don't know how to tell what it is.  I'm
>> sorry if I used the term "LP" incorrectly.
>>
>>      What equipment do I need to buy to make a one-time measurement
>> (and probably never use again) to determine whether this record has a
>> 1 mil, 1.8, 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 mil groove or something else?  I
>> don't know how to tell the difference between all these varieties.
>>
>>      In all the responses, no one has mentioned that they have ever
>> heard, seen, or read about in print of another 16" record produced at
>> UW-Madison.  Is there anyone specific I should contact in the Oshkosh
>> / Milwaukee / Madison area that does have the expertise to identify
>> exactly what it is I have, and whether it is the only one still in
>> existence, however I doubt that it is?  Thanks.
>> Doug Henkle - mailto:henkle@xxxxxxxxx
>> P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.