To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 16" transcription player on ebay

Hi Doug:

This was a common way of distributing serialized radio programs at one time. The Bill Cosby Radio Program, for one, was put together and duplicated at my father's studio and radio stations could be on the list for either a weekly reel of tape or a weekly 16" LP record.

DO NOT PLAY THIS RECORD ON AN OLD "TRANSCRIPTION PHONOGRAPH" from the Pre-LP Era! The stylus will be too wide and track too heavy and thus ruin it on just one pass! Please read the previous sentence again and do not proceed unless you clearly understand what I'm saying. An LP (microgroove) record will be ruined by a wide-groove stylus tracking at some heavy weight like has been mentioned by others on this list. However, if this record is indeed a pre-LP record, it's fine on the older equipment. I can't tell for sure from your photos but you specifically say "LP" several times in your text, so I'm assuming you're talking about microgroove records.

If you do indeed have an LP, the reason a 16" would be distributed to radio stations is that they would have turntables capable of that size and more time can be fit on a 16" side at 33 1/3 RPM. So, for instance, with the Bill Cosby program, you could fit 5 weekly shows of about 6 minutes each, cut super-loud for AM radio. Thus, two weeks of shows could be pressed on one 16" record.

I hope this helps. If you don't have a microgroove record, you don't need to heed my warning above, but I'd still play something potentially rare like this on a good rig and ... CLEAN IT GENTLY WITH A NON-ALCOHOL SOLUTION before playing it.

You might consider contacting an expert on grooved disk transfers like Art Shifrin (www.shifrin.net).

-- Tom Fine
----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henkle" <henkle@xxxxxxxxx>