Re: [ARSCLIST] Odd RCA Victor release...

The Cities Service Band of America was the last version of a very long-running NBC radio and TV series sponsored by Cities Service, the gas pipeline and petroleum company. The program began in 1925. The Cities Service Orchestra radio program became the Cities Service Band of America in 1948 and they continued on radio until early 1956. The TV version ran on NBC during the 1949-50 season.

The Band of America was a 48-piece brass band (one player for each state). After they lost their radio and TV shows, the band continued as a promotion vehicle for Cities Service, which became Citgo in 1965.

They also made a bunch of records for RCA Victor. I remember playing their version of "The Star Spangled Banner" from a 45 as the sign-off at more than one radio station in the 1960's.

Hugh Baille was a longtime reporter and executive at United Press, the American news agency that later merged with Hearst's International News Service to become UPI. In his
1959 memoir, "High Tension," he says: "The last time I saw Field Marshal Lord Montgomery he was riding a horse up Paccadilly in June 1953, in the Coronation procession of Queen Elizabeth. (The Irish Guards, marching ahead of him, were playing 'The United Press March,' which Paul Lavalle wrote for me on my promise to have it played before the Queen. I had made the promise and I kept it -- but it took some doing.)"

There's a great American tradition of marches named for newspapers (most notably Sousa's Washington Post March, but there were also marches for dozens of others -- www.gabbf.com/abb/cds.html offers four CDs full of them. Apparently, Lavalle may have added the UP March to the Band of America's regular book.

I have a copy of The United Press March on a 10-inch RCA Victor LP, "Sunday Band Concert" (LPM-3120). It was also released on a 45, RCA Victor 47-5205 http://downhold.org/lowry/march2.jpg

John Ross