Re: [ARSCLIST] blooper samples?

My book, /Um.../, has a chapter on Kermit Schafer.

What's most significant about Schafer is that he turned bloopers into valuable media properties. He started out getting them for free, literally collecting scraps of tape and film that had been thrown away as trash. By the 1980s, the Screen Actors Guild contract stipulated that writers, actors, producers and directors have to be paid for blooper material, which sent the cost of blooper material through the roof. Where do all the home video shows come from? From the economics of bloopers, thanks to Kermit Schafer.

The whole staging of bloopers shouldn't be surprising. Schafer was once a game show producer, and apparently was the first to speak on the record to reporters about how game shows were faked. "You can't run a panel or quiz show without some planted answers and ad libs," he told the United Press.

A definition of what I'm looking for will follow.

ME

Matthew Barton wrote:
The Uncle Don recording on the Kermit Schaefer album described here is is a staging of something that never happened:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/radio/uncledon.asp

There are many actual bloopers on the Schaefer albums, but this one was a staging of an urban legend about Uncle Don (and other kiddie show hosts).

Matthew Barton
MBRS
The Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540-4610
202-707-5508
email: mbarton@xxxxxxx

"Steven Smith, King of the House, Inc." <kingofthehouse@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/15/07 1:45 PM >>>
Geesh,

I might have a record like that somewhere. In the 60's such albums were
popular. The most famous ones were an announcer introducing Herbert Hoover
as, something like "Heepert Hoober". There was Uncle Don, a kids performer.
He did a show and said something, thinking he was off mike, like; "that
ought to hold the little bastards." There was another of a sports caster,
really into the game, who sees a running play and screams: "look at that S-N
of a Bi-ch run."

Steve
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Erard" <michael.erard@xxxxxxxxx>