Re: [ARSCLIST] Obscure Geniuses/ASCAP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Levinson" <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Not to sound pretentious but as a collector I have focused on the
> "oddball" as a category and can tell you that there are many insanely
> talented and intriguing people in a plethora of genres who are still
> languishing in various degrees of obscurity. They include:
>
> 1. Shuggie Otis (son of Johnny Otis)
> 2. Hasaan (jazz pianist)
> 3. Bernard Peiffer
> 4. Hector Rivera
> 5. Hasil Adkins
> 6. Esquerita
> 7. James Booker
> 8. Cass Simpson
> 9. Mel Brown
> 10. Lonnie Johnson
>
> These are just 10 artists I can offer off the top of my head who are
> easily on the level of Betty Davis and in some cases far beyond.
> Anyone who has even the slightest interest in finding out about these
> folks I would be glad to help out. Ping me off-list.

Hie thyself to ANY (or all) of the blues-related e-mail lists!!
Shuggie Otis is VERY well recognized among blues aficianados! As
well, Mel Brown gets a lot of mention...both among Canadian blues
fans who have seen him lately, and others who recall his earlier
work! Finally...ANYBODY who enjoys blues guitar (I'm excepting the
electric-guitar freaks who assume blues guitar started with Hendrix
and then worked its way backward from there...?!?!) is, or should be,
aware of the work of Lonnie Johnson!

But...what of Madagascar Slim, Darren Gallen or Mike Tabares...? What,
for that matter, of me own self..."Steven C" (Barr) as vocalist,
harmonicist and songwriter...?!