Re: [ARSCLIST] Obscure Geniuses/ASCAP

on 8/2/07 4:25 PM US/Central, Schooley, John at
John.Schooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm a huge 'Fess fan, and I was recently disgusted to turn on the tv and
> see that "Big Chief" is currently being used as the background music in
> a women's deodorant commercial...

This will come as a surprise, but Longhair was totally an "artist of
convenience" on the original version.

Earl King wrote the tune, and Wardell Quezergue put together the
arrangements. Longhair had absolutely no idea until he got to the studio
what was in store for him.

He didn't understand at all why there were so many musicians present, and he
asked what was the reason for it!

I forget the details of who actually played piano, sang and whistled (it was
a dense arrangement in its original version), but in later years it became a
staple of Longhair's repertoire.

Did I mention he was shy?

--
Parker Dinkins