Re: [ARSCLIST] Obscure Geniuses/ASCAP

Roger-

That is why I said "varying degrees of obscurity". Cassino Simpson recorded one 10" via a smuggled tape machine in an insane asylum in his entire life. To suggest he is "fairly well known" is simply not accurate. You may have already know all these folks(I do doubt it)but to even ardent fans of many genres these peeps are outside the "standard points of reference". In the age of the net it is great however that interested parties can do some digging and hopefully discover those less obvious figures. I stand by the list.

AA

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
Nope.These people are all fairly well known.Maybe not to people who listen to this stuff: http://music.yahoo.com/musicvideos/lists/top.asp ,but fairly well known.

roger

Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Not to sound pretentious but as a collector I have focused on the "oddball" as a category and can tell you that there are many insanely talented and intriguing people in a plethora of genres who are still languishing in various degrees of obscurity. They include:

1. Shuggie Otis (son of Johnny Otis)
2. Hasaan (jazz pianist)
3. Bernard Peiffer
4. Hector Rivera
5. Hasil Adkins
6. Esquerita
7. James Booker
8. Cass Simpson
9. Mel Brown
10. Lonnie Johnson

These are just 10 artists I can offer off the top of my head who are easily on the level of Betty Davis and in some cases far beyond.
Anyone who has even the slightest interest in finding out about these folks I would be glad to help out. Ping me off-list.

AA

P.S. I was a field investigator for ASCAP for many years, I was the guy that did the undercover investigations of clubs, bars, restaurants, concerts, etc. And by the way, we definitely took people to court...and won.