To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] De-clicking (serious)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
In another case, I was doing a job transferring a large collection of 12"
dance-mix singles for a DJ
(he was going all-digital, actually using his iPods as the players). A couple
of the records were
cracked or chipped on the edges. In one case, we found the pie-shaped slice
that broke out of the
edge. I still can't believe this worked, but we were able to very carefully
glue it back into place
with Crazy-Glue, using a sewing needle to apply the glue in the needle-thin
part of the vinyl under
the grooves. I really couldn't believe it when it played very well with just
one big tick at the
"tip" of the pie-slice. I do not expect to get that lucky ever again. The
client was a really nice
guy or I would have charged extra for the awful music content of the job! ;).

I have tried a number of times to similarly repair broken 78's which had "bites"
(and I had the "bitten" piece as well...!). My experience was that these could
be
Crazy-Glued"...but, there was always a problem if the arc of the "bite" was
tangent (or whatever you call the meeting of two opposite-direction arcs...?!)
to the almost-circle of the playing-groove spiral at some point. Remember that
the playing groove is about 3 mil (.003") wide...so if you add a layer of glue
around .001" or more, the needle/stylus can easily slip into the wrong groove
at the repaired spot...!