Re: [ARSCLIST] off-topic: guilty pleasure in hi-fi demo records

Answer to follow to-morrow...scb
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] off-topic: guilty pleasure in hi-fi demo records

> Well,here in the "XXI Jarehundert",most 78 collectors are those who collect
1945-65 rock/R&B,and/or pre-Lp classical music.Sometimes both,like me,but
usually one or the other.In both areas you have rare stuff,be it a Beethoven
"Eroica",by Oswald Kabaasta,rare/obscure pre-1910 opera from G&T/Odeon.
"Lonesome Baby" by The Hornets.or an Indian 78 of "I Want To Hold Your
Hand",that is of importance,rarity,and high demand.

> Blues and country/hillbilly 78s,before 1940 have their devotees too,but they
are usually a subset of the rock collectors.But there are simply not enough of
these records to support a market,given how few were sold nationally,or survived
being ground up for paint on jeeps,bombs,and planes during "The Big One".

> The people who buy these records are usually 45/Lp collectors,and buy the
stuff from eBay,or before that shows,or "Goldmine".There were always auction
lists for rare pre-war jazz 78s,exchanging hands for outlandish sums at the
time.At least as far back as the post-war 40s.

> it was usually only the pop stuff that went for next to nothing.What's
more,it's only been relatively recently,that people have realized the older,as
in 1890-1930, stuff needs to examined,saved and reappreciated as history,but you
and I both know "When The Moon Shines on The Moonshine",will never have the
appeal of a Blind Lemon Jefferson,or a Jelly Roll Morton.There will always be
more people who want these records,than there are copies out there.