[ARSCLIST] LP album cover printing

This weekend my cousin's wife, who works for International Paper, told me that she understood that IP "invented the printed cardboard record sleeve" and produced these at their plant in Indianapolis. While on a recent trip there she was shown an area in this vast facility (it apparently was added onto over and over during the years) where they still have material relating to this production, including album art color separations for offset printing. They don't use this stuff anymore, but she was told they can't get rid of it "because it is too valuable."
Has anyone ever heard about this before, or is this some bit of IP lore?

John H. Bondurant
Sound Preservation Archivist
Hutchins Library, Special Collections & Archives
Berea College
CPO LIB
Berea, KY 40404

john_bondurant@xxxxxxxxx