Re: [ARSCLIST] New 1-bit recorders, was Re: SACD et al. sales figures

At 7/8/2007 06:47 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
Do you think Korg will develop it further than Tascam has? I have actually been surprised that Tascam hasn't come up with DAW solutions for editing and playback (presumeably playback would stream through the Tascam or Korg device from the DAW) since they work with software people all the time and make a whole variety of DAW front-ends. I'm wondering if there is something about the format or does it require more bandwidth than firewire to playback?

I don't know anything about Korg, so I'm interested if you think they are more able to widen the availability and acceptance of the format vs. Tascam.

Korg is flogging their proprietary format as "future proof," apparently because it allows conversion to the standard archival formats. Here's their white paper:

http://www.korg.com/mr/Future_Proof_Recording_Explained.pdf

I'm afraid that many archives and libraries may be convinced by this marketing hype, because they are not aware of the issues I cited in my earlier message. We can hope that the granting agencies and other influential bodies can effectively discourage them from committing to this format.

John Ross