From: Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New 1-bit recorders, was Re: SACD et al. sales figures
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:41:58 -0400

Hi Doug:

We discussed the Korg machines a bit on the Ampex list. My key question would be -- especially with an eye to the future -- what can you play their recordings back on besides Korg machines made today? Is there any software available to play these files on a regular PC-based DAW?

Tascam has had a 1-bit DSD recorder available for a couple of years and recently upgraded the line to a model that includes a built-in hard dirve. Either model mounts as a USB or firewire device but I am not clear if there is any software to play back DSD files from the computer.

Also, there are arguments out there about whether DSD really is all that it's cracked up to be in real-world conditions of music and voice recording and transfer.

But, it's a Good Thing to see DSD devices proliferate. One caution to people following this thread -- make sure you separate DSD recording and DSD 1-bit devices from the SACD format, which is a separate matter. That, by the way, is another problem with these recorders. You can't actually take their files and burn a SACD disc onto a blank DVD. The SACD format is full of DRM and patent-fees and so far no one has come up with a home or small studio SACD burner that I know of. So right now, the only people who can play back your DSD files are those with their own DSD machines, and I'm not even sure that Korg files play back on Tascam machines or vice-versa.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Pomeroy" <pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxxxxxx>